Sunday, June 7, 2009

Love Canadian Style: A Poem

Homme:
As I gazed at your hot chocolate eyes
Over the donut distressed table
At Tim Hortons,
I traced our initials in the foam of the $1.95 Cappucino
And licked the contents off my finger.

A taste of things to come.

Woman:
We watch Hockey Night in Canada:
I touch the scars on your left cheek
With my right fingers:
Remnants of Pee Wee hockey.

Homme:
Remember the first time I knew you
In that wilderness way
I took you in my arms
In the canoe…

Woman:

As if it could have been anywhere else, my toque wearing teddy…

Homme:
(interupts) Bear.
You were going to say.

Woman: And now
So many years passed
I still recall the soul of the hinterland
Trapped in the fabric
Of your skipants.

Homme:
Ah…tu remember my petite pamplemousse
Our trip to La Belle Provence
How we sailed down the Mountain Royale
In our snow scuffed snowshoes

Woman: And how we heated our lips
On the warmth of the Depanneur wine
That stained our teeth
The colour of love

Homme:
Scampering in the Quebecois sleet and stopping
To read the license plates.
Murmuring the sleek sensual sound of : Je me souviens over to each other
And wondering out loud
What it actually meant.

Together/Tout Ensemble
We celebrate our unity
On our Hudson Bay beige and rainbow blanket
And after the festivities:
Lying together listening to the familiar sounds of
Our beloved Leafs losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment